Sunday, February 5, 2012

Transition Words

So this week we focused on how to use transition words effectively to organize our writing. To start off the week, we looked at a piece of writing, and I asked the students to share any words in the piece that they thought helped to organize it and put it in order.

On Tuesday we created this transition words pencils. The purple is in Spanish and the green in English. They each have two sides- one (pictured on the Spanish pencil) provides the students with different words they can use at the beginning, middle or end of their stories. The other (pictured on English pencil) are other examples of transition words that students may find useful. The students keep these pencils in their Writer's Workshop folders and can pull them out whenever they need!


Throughout the week I utilized pieces of student writing as examples and we worked together (using our nifty pencils) to add transition words to enhance the piece.

On Friday, we read the story "Si le das un pastelito a un gato" by Laura Numeroff. All of her books work great for transition words- she uses so many examples! I gave each student a post-it note and asked them to listen for transition words that the author uses in her writing and jot them down as I read. Afterword we shared the examples we had found as well as discussed how using these words helped the author to better organize her writing. 





Here is an example of some of their post-its. (Sorry the dark purple wasn't real conducive to a photo.)

Look forward to a post soon about how I do Writer's Workshop in my classroom. (As soon as I can get a grasp on this whole embedding Google Docs business.)

Have a great Monday!



3 comments:

  1. Love this, Krista! You are doing such a great job! I have already added you to our blogroll and pinned some of your pics to our Pinterest boards. Keep on sharing your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Let me know if there is anything specific you would like me to post about too, I love suggestions!

      Delete
  2. I just used this post with one of my students who was looking for transition words. I need to make some cute little references!

    Casey

    ReplyDelete