Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Must Have Picture Books!

The Teacher Wife
Linking up with Lindsey @ The Teacher Wife for some book idea swappin! I absolutely love reading (...and buying) new picture books, so I couldn't resist!

So here are some of my faves...
(If you click on any of the images it will take you to Amazon to check out more about the text and/or buy it...I know...I am making it way to easy to spend money ;)

1. "Are You Quite Polite?" and "Smelly Locker" by David Catrow.
These are great for the beginning of the year when establishing rules, routines, and talkin' about good manners. The books are made up of a variety of familiar song tunes (like She'll Be Comin' Round the Mountain, ABC's, etc), but the words have been changed to reflect the theme. My kiddos think they are hilarious and so do I! 



2, "The Student from Zombie Island: Conquering the Rumor Monster" by Michael J. Moorehead
A elementary school student actually wrote this book, which is one of the main reasons I love it. What a great way to show students that they can be professional authors. Also, the text is all about the dangers of spreading rumors and gossiping. Great community building text!

3. "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein (English/Spanish Available)
Anyone can come in to my room and ask my students what their teacher's favorite book is and all in unison will tell you it is this one. I just think this book can be used in so many ways, from teaching how to be selfless and give to others to all about natural resources and how we can use them to an author study text. I just love it so!




4. "Miss Nelson is Missing" by Harry Allard (English/Spanish Available)
One of my favorites to remind my kiddos what an amazing teacher they have ;). I like to bring it out during those times when I just feel like no one is listening!



5. "Smelly Socks" by Robert Munsche (Available in English/Spanish)
Hands down one of the funniest stories I read all year. I could read it ten times and my kids would still laugh after each one. The main character is so dramatic that is makes a great story for utilizing expression, and its' a good one to work on building fiction retelling.


There you have them. Top 5....it was tough to choose! Anyone use these picture books in your classroom as well? And love them like I do? I would love to hear how you use them!








12 comments:

  1. I will HAVE to buy the first two books that you mentioned! I have never heard of them before but they would be so great to use during the first week of school! :)

    Make sure to stop by and enter my giveaway
    -Courtney
    2ndgradesnapshots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great reads! I will be sure to check out your blog :)

      Delete
  2. I nominated you for an award!! Stop by my blog to get it!

    Cyndi
    Lacy's Letters

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, those super kids at the top of your blog are SO cute! Just found your blog through the linky and I'm glad I did!

    Susan
    T.G.I.F. (Thank God it's First Grade!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan! So glad you found me as well. Looking forward to checking out your blog!

      Delete
  4. Hi Krista,

    I nominated you for an award. Please stop by to pick it up.

    Mona
    First Grade Schoolhouse

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there I am your newest follower! If you have time stop by my blog and follow! Cute blog by the way!
    Brigid
    Brigid's Daily Lesson Log

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Brigid. Looking forward to checking out your blog as well!

      Delete
  6. Don't you just love David Catrow's illustrations? I can always pick them out.

    :)
    Tamera
    http://myheartbelongsinfirst.blogspot.com
    Kaizactan2001@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete