Thursday, April 5, 2012

Egg Measuring

We did a little Easter related activity today during math to review for our upcoming assessment on measurement. This "Egg Measurements" activity I created made for the perfect tie-in! Click on the title page image to snag a copy. It is in English and Spanish!



I set up rulers on one table, measuring tapes on a another, and the one lowly scale I have on another in my classroom and set my students to work. It worked out for my kids just to walk from place to place, but you could do it however works for your students. I also gave each of my students their own individual hard-boiled egg. You could partner them up for it, group them, etc. We only had one egg casuality (after all my ranting and raving about caution), so I thought they did pretty well!

Here is what one of my students completed pages looked like:


After we finished our little measurement center rotations, we continued with our activity by measuring capacity. I enlisted the assistance of my students in measuring out the correct amounts of vinegar and water to add to some Easter egg dying cups! When it was prepared we dyed the eggs we used for our activity, and each student got to take their beautifully colored egg home!


Final thing- I had a request for the writing paper I utilized for my Spring Narrative Kites yesterday. I am glad that you enjoyed them! Click here if you'd like a copy!

Happy Easter!






8 comments:

  1. THis looks super cute!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your items are so cute:) I wish I was good at creating for my class. I just stopped by to say I have tagged you!! Surf on over to my blog for more details.
    Aloha,
    Corinna
    Surfin' Through Second

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next year I will be looping with my kids to second grade, this will be fabulous! Thanks a lot for your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! So many times I focus on length too much, and I love that this will remind kids that measurement is more than just using a ruler. What an awesome resource to have in my file for next year. Thanks!

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just tagged you! Head on over to my blog to check it out!

    ✿Becky✿
    aubecky@hotmail.com
    2nd Grade Rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Easter! You've been tagged!

    "Hop" on over to my blog to see the details!

    Jillian
    Just Tinkerin' Around

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer, bummer, bummer! I didn't see Becky's comment above mine, until after I hit "publish"!!!

      You must be pretty popular to be tagged twice ;)

      Have a great Sunday!

      Delete
  7. Oh my! I have tagged you as well! :) You're very popular! Head over to my blog to see the rules/questions!

    Chrissy
    Adventures in Second Grade

    ReplyDelete